Silverlight on Windows Phone
This was a great announcement last week at MIX10: the programming model for the upcoming Windows Phone 7 is Silverlight!
For now it is Silverlight 3, with the possibility to use phone specific features:
- location & map control (GPS)
- push notifications
- motion detection
So we have the same programming model we already know, develop in Visual Studio, test with the built-in emulator or deploy to the mobile with full debugger integration.
Try it now!
Good news: tools to develop for Windows Phone are free!!
You can download right now:
Windows Phone Developer Tools CTP
- Visual Studio 2010 Express for Windows Phone CTP
- Windows Phone Emulator CTP
- Silverlight for Windows Phone CTP
- XNA 4.0 Game Studio CTP
Expression Blend Tools for Windows Phone
If you already have Visual Studio 2010 or Expression Blend these downloads will add the tools into your current version installed.
- Developers Portal
- Windows Phone 7 Series Developer Training Kit
- Watch an Overview Session at MIX10
- Support on the MSDN forums
Scott Guthrie has a nice sample detailed on his blog:
Download a free preview of the upcoming book from Charles Petzold “Programming Windows Phone 7 Series” (PDF Version, 153 pages):