Silverlight on Windows Phone
This was a great announcement last week at MIX10: the programming model for the upcoming Windows Phone 7 is Silverlight!
For now it is Silverlight 3, with the possibility to use phone specific features:
- location & map control (GPS)
- push notifications
- motion detection
So we have the same programming model we already know, develop in Visual Studio, test with the built-in emulator or deploy to the mobile with full debugger integration.
Try it now!
Good news: tools to develop for Windows Phone are free!!
You can download right now:
- Visual Studio 2010 Express for Windows Phone CTP
- Windows Phone Emulator CTP
- Silverlight for Windows Phone CTP
- XNA 4.0 Game Studio CTP
If you already have Visual Studio 2010 or Expression Blend these downloads will add the tools into your current version installed.
- Developers Portal
- Windows Phone 7 Series Developer Training Kit
- Watch an Overview Session at MIX10
- Support on the MSDN forums
Scott Guthrie has a nice sample detailed on his blog:
Download a free preview of the upcoming book from Charles Petzold “Programming Windows Phone 7 Series” (PDF Version, 153 pages):